When you’ve previously created Slime-San, and have publishing bits behind you like Yooka-Laylee, BPM: Bullets Per Minute and the cute A Little Golf Journey, you probably know what fits a gaming market. That’s looking likely to be the case for Fabraz and Playtonic Friends as they come together to deliver a fresh take on the platformer – Demon Turf.
One look at Demon Turf is probably just about enough to drag you in. The hybrid art style is glorious, the world is one full of humour, there’s tasty punky attitude kicking around in the background and it promises to provide gamers with the chance to take on an ever-evolving challenge.
Available to purchase and download right now on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S (Optimised), PS4, PS5, Nintendo Switch and PC (through both Steam and the Epic Game Store), Demon Turf sees players taking on the role of Beebz – a demon who is a mere 1000 years old. From there, it’s up to them to help Beebz reclaim the lost demon world turf, taking on the Demon King himself and ultimately, claiming the throne.
The thing is Demon Turf and Beebz are trying new things. With physics driven combat at the core of what is going on, and the chance to return to previously beaten levels in order to take on a new challenge, the 25 odd arenas of bizarro, the 10 Demon Soccer Golf courses that are included and the unlockable cartridges which deliver throwback stages are just the start of it.
In fact, Demon Turf is mixing it up a good ‘un and comes to market boasting of switching up the tried and tested platforming world for the better.
The key features of this adventure sit as follows…
- • A unique aesthetic combining the expressiveness of 2D illustrations with the depth and sense of exploration 3D environments can offer!
- • A world chock-full of humor and style, from the music accompanied by the protagonist’s rapping to the colorful characters inhabiting the world!
- • A unique take on progression! Take a victory lap and explore previously beaten levels to discover their liberated state, with plenty of mechanical and environmental changes to uncover. Or take some time off in the hub town taking on sidequests and other distinct challenges instead.
- • Pull off some clever platforming combinations or get physical with a special physics-driven combat system that ramps up the chaos and fun. Push, pull and spin your enemies out of your way.
- • A different take on checkpoints, freeing the player to place them wherever they want. Show off without them for a perfect run, or place one in preparation for a challenging section.
- • Unique challenges like the “Photo Hunt” mode where you’re tasked to take pictures of hidden locations & surprising moments! Or simply take pictures and selfies for fun and share them across all social media!
- • An awesome collection of purchasable mods that can be combined in clever ways to completely change your playstyle! Or you could buy some dyes & pets instead, the world’s your oyster!
- • Tons of carefully crafted levels that constantly introduce new challenges as well as engaging bosses full of character and life! Until Beebz gets to them…
Our full review of Demon Turf on Xbox is live and ready to be delivered to your eyes. Make sure you check it out.
For now though, the usual digital stores hold the key you need for this piece of platforming perfection. It’s available on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, PS5, Nintendo Switch and PC – we’ll do the usual and drop you the link to the Xbox Store. Expect to pay £19.99 for this one.
The comments are below. Let us know what you think of this one.
The Demon World is inhabited by all kinds of nasties… Most of them lumped into gangs battling for dominion, each led by its own head honcho. Yet even these bad dudes are no match for the Demon King himself! Instead, the task falls to Beebz, a young demon barely a thousand years old, who decides it’s time for her to kick every turf leader’s butt and become the Demon Queen herself.