It’s fair to say that the first iteration of Chivalry – the uber-realistic medieval battle-sim by Torn Banner Studios – was a bit of a cult classic when it first released on PC way back in 2012. In the years since, it’s seen a release onto Xbox 360 and PS3, and then a version on the previous generation of consoles – the Xbox One and PS4. Now, however, it’s time for an entirely new outing for the series, and as Chivalry 2 is launching simultaneously on PC and console, the blood-soaked battlefield is as even as can be.
Available on Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, PS5, PS4 and PC from today – with new publishers Tripwire Interactive keen to emphasise the full crossplay functionality of the game – Chivalry 2 ushers in a new era of first-person hacking and slashing. After taking on one of four classes, and deciding between a whopping 12 different subclasses, it’s time to take your skills to the battlefield either solo or with some mates along for the ride. Battlefield-esque, there will be 64 players to a match, all fighting over a certain objective, and you can be sure the maps you’ll be dueling it out on will be fit for such a grand scale.
What with the mass of soldiers all clashing swords against each other, it can be hard not to become a faceless grunt in the midst of them all, and as such Chivalry 2’s improved player expression – by way of voice lines and a deeper character customisation – is very much a welcome addition to allow you to become your own soldier.
Yet this would all mean nothing if the gameplay itself wasn’t up to scratch, and the first title was praised for its heavy-handed, meaningful combat. The devs are all too happy to brag to a similar extent about the immersion provided by bone-crunching sounds as swords carve into flesh, and the new and improved combat system aims to add some more flavour to attacks. It seems this time around you will be able to find your own combat style and slowly become the master of it – do you hold back, and wait for the perfect moment to strike, or shall you charge through as a tank? Every playstyle is welcome!
“With the launch of Chivalry 2, we’re excited to have nailed our vision of creating the ultimate medieval battlefield game,” said Torn Banner Studios CEO & Creative Director Steve Piggott. “It’s all-out insane, epic 64-player online carnage that finally delivers to gamers the intensity of being in your favourite medieval movie battle scenes. Chivalry 2 pulls you right into the action, delivering the satisfaction of an incredibly deep combat system, the cinematic glory of sieging castles, the chaos of a massive wave of knights smashing into each other, and hilarious Monty Python inspired voice overs. We can’t wait to hear our fans roaring their battle cries on the battlefield.”
“When we started this journey two years ago, I knew that Torn Banner Studios would make a great first-person medieval combat game with Chivalry 2,” said Tripwire Interactive CEO John Gibson. “Now that the game is done, however, I am blown away at what they have created. Chivalry 2 will redefine first person melee combat, and it has been a pleasure for Tripwire Presents to support Torn Banner in making this incredible game a reality.”
However you choose to play – flaming arrows, two-handed weapons and the like – you can be sure that the epic medieval battles that unfold around you will be truly a sight to behold. This is no more true than for Xbox Series X|S players, who are treated to additional X|S optimisation for Chivalry 2.
The key features of Chivalry 2 include:
- Escape from Falmire (New Team Objective Map): Agatha launches a surprise assault on a Mason prison in an attempt to rescue a war hero. Breach the city gates and release the prisoners before a final castle siege and daring rescue mission to free the Agathian Champion.
- The Fighting Pit (New Team Deathmatch/Free-for-All Map): Unproven warriors from both factions fight to the death in this trap-filled local arena made to entertain the local drunks.
- Stunning Cinematic Presentation: Massive improvement in visual quality, with an atmosphere that thrusts players into their favorite moments from epic medieval Hollywood action films. Brought to you on the latest and best game engine, Unreal Engine 4.
- Cross-Play Across All Platforms: Cross-Play smashes the boundaries between PC and console, allowing players to face-off on the battlefield together, regardless of platform.
- Epic Medieval Environments: Sprawling medieval environments ranging from tournament grounds to epic full-scale castle sieges.
- Massive Scale: Experience the chaos of epic medieval battlefields as 64 players clash with an intensity meant to capture the large-scale scope of “The Battle of the Bastards” from Game of Thrones.
- Choose your Fighting Style: Your arsenal expands with the new subclass system that provides more variety than ever before. Four base classes expand to various subclasses, an arsenal of unique weapons each with multiple visual variants, and new support items ranging from oil pots to barricades, supply crates and archer’s stakes.
- Unleash Hell: Own the field with a variety of heavy siege engines including Ballistae, Catapults, Trebuchet, Battering Rams, Mantlets, Spike Traps, Ladders, and more.
- Build your Hero: Become a hero and look the part. A detailed customization system adds huge variety: head type, skin tone, head & facial hair + colors, facial imperfections, face paint, nicknames, heraldry, helmets, armor, weapons, and more for millions of possible combinations.
- Hilarious Roleplay: Expanded Voice Overs and Emotes enable enhanced roleplaying abilities with many new voice characters as well as the return of the original cast and new animated emotes per character to taunt your opponent a second time!
- Refuse to Die: Keep fighting after losing a limb, being knocked down, disarmed, set on fire, filled with arrows, your shield broken, smothered in blood and still throwing punches from your knees. Bandages, revives and the new downed state allow you to support teammates and stay in the action until you’ve bled your last drop.
- Kitchen Sink: Battlefields are littered with dozens of items to interact with. Grab a chicken, set it on fire and throw it; kill a man with his friend’s head; improvise a new fighting style with pitchforks – or tomatoes.
Chivalry 2 is now available for Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One – the Xbox Store should sort you out for £33.49 – as well as PS5, PS4 and PC. For £41.74, on the other hand, the Chivalry 2 Special Edition will sort you out with a few extra weapons, some Jousting Knight armour, and 1000 Crowns and 5000 Gold as currency to get a kick start with. The game will be playable from 4pm UK time today (8th June).
See you out there, oh fair knight! And keep an eye out for out full review too.
Return to the ultimate medieval battlefield. Chivalry 2 is a multiplayer first person slasher inspired by epic medieval movie battles. Players are thrust into the action of every iconic moment of the era – from clashing swords, to storms of flaming arrows, to sprawling castle sieges and more. Storm into battle with your friends with cross-play on all platforms! Charge headfirst into stunning cinematic battles inspired by epic medieval action films Experience large-scale conflicts in sprawling medieval environments ranging from Tournament grounds to full-scale castle sieges Pick your playstyle with 4 classes and 12 subclasses, each with their own unique weapons and abilities and much more!