A nihilistic action-platforming roguelike, Nongunz is a game that is obscure in both its gameplay and theme. But as it rocks up onto Xbox, PlayStation, Switch and PC in Doppelganger Edition, the appeal becomes all the more real.
Available to purchase and download right now on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S and PC, with a PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch drop just a day or two previous, Nongunz: Doppelganger Edition has been created by the indie development team of Brainwash Gang. Picked up and published by the indie kings of Digerati, this new Doppelganger Edition takes what was first launched in 2017 by then publisher Sindiecate. With them vanishing in mysterious fashion, it has been left to the two new teams to add the Doppelganger moniker and remaster the game.
Nungunz comes to Xbox, PlayStation, Switch and PC with a £12.49 price tag in tow (the Xbox Store is here), but it does also see those who have the original game in their Steam library being given access to this new edition totally free of charge.
So what do we have? Well, this is a riddling roguelike in which Nongunz sees you dropped into an ever-changing gothic dungeon, left to survive on skill alone. With combos the key to success, and the challenge more than real, you’ll find yourself utterly immersed in the hundreds of levels, dozens of enemy types and beautifully crafted environments throughout.
With a new Arena mode in place, and the chance to join with your own doppelganger in local cooperative play, there’s certainly much to get involved in here.
- Unforgiving gameplay that will challenge both your skill and your wits
- The whole game is a riddle. Unveil the mystery behind the nihilistic universe of Nongunz
- Beautifully crafted black and white pixel environments and characters
- Hundreds of levels plagued with dozens of different enemies
- Many weapons, items, and equipment to unlock and master
- The potential to change your perception about existence, violence, and mankind
- New for the Doppelganger Edition! Survive an eternity of enemies in Arena mode, and join forces with your double in Local Co-op mode
Our full review of Nongunz: Doppelganger Edition on Xbox is in the works and will be with you soon. For now though if you wish to pick up the game, head to the digital store of your choosing – the Xbox Store, the PlayStation Store, the Nintendo eShop or Steam.
Nongunz is a nihilistic action-platformer roguelike. Obscure in both gameplay and theme, it’s a riddle that demands sacrifice. Rebuilt from the ground-up, the Doppelganger Edition is a remastered version of the original, never previously released on console, and features two all-new modes: Arena and Local Co-op.